Friday 26 December 2014

The Christmas Party – by Carole Matthews

My own copy
Original Cover














The blurb:

Louise Young is a devoted single mother whose only priority is providing for her daughter, Mia. Louise has a good job in a huge international corporation and she's grateful for it. The only problem is her boss who can't keep his hands to himself, but Louise can handle him. What she really doesn't have time for is romance - until she meets the company's rising star, Josh Wallace.

Louise usually says no to evenings out but she's decided to let her hair down tonight. It's the office Christmas party, she has a pretty dress to wear and she's looking forward to some champagne and fun. She's completely unaware that others around her are too busy playing dangerous games to enjoy the party - until she's pulled into those games herself . . .

Romance is in the air and secrets are about to be uncovered. It's going to be a night to remember at The Christmas Party.

My Opinion:

Gorgeous and festive cover – I love it.

I was really excited for this book, the blurb sounded great and I love Carole as a writer. Unfortunately this Christmas story wasn’t really for me. I really enjoyed parts of it, but the last spark was missing.

The book starts at the day of the Christmas party, the 23rd of December. Louise is new to Fossil Oil, it’s her first Christmas party with them, she is very nervous and her boss Tyler Benson, comes on to her a lot…
Louise is a single mother, she struggles with money and loves at her parent’s house with her daughter Mia. My was such a joy to read about, a real sunshine.
The Christmas party is full of fun, drama and much more. I enjoyed reading about it, especially about Louise and Josh Wallace, the company’s rising star.

At times I felt that there was even too much going on, instead of focusing at the interesting parts.
The narratives in the story change a lot. There is Louise talking from her point of view in the first person and then there were other chapters where the other characters were in the limelight written in the third person. Kirsten (Tyler’s wife), Melissa (Tyler’s affair) and Tyler himself got turns as well. I didn’t like the change that much, because I liked Louise as the main character and I think it disturbed the flow a bit.

The scenes were very vivid and described with so much detail, I really liked that, it made the atmosphere more festive and sweet.

A lot happens in just three days, I really liked that the three main women finally realised what was important and wanted  a change in life. There was a lot of talk about the positions and jobs at Fossil Oil, making Louise unsure about her future. The ending I have to say was a bit of a disappointment for me in a way, because I think there wasn’t a clear ending and some fast stops. On the other hand I really liked what Louise, Kirsten and Melissa decided. So it was full of hope and happiness, but also uncertainty and sadness.

Rating:




Louise: Keira Knightley





























Carole Matthews on Twitter: @carolematthews
Website: http://www.carolematthews.com


No comments:

Post a Comment