Sunday 14 December 2014

Keeping the Spirit of Christmas Alive by Melissa Baldwin


Image and video hosting by TinyPic


















There is something so magical about this time of year. It could be the anticipation, the decorations, time with family and friends, or hearing that first Christmas song of the season.
In my case it’s watching the excitement in my daughter’s eyes as she makes her Christmas list and waits for her Elf on the Shelf to arrive.
Each year as the holiday passes I pray that I will have another year to see this joy and wonder in her eyes. I truly believe that you can see the spirit of Christmas in a child’s eyes. As adults we get so caught up in hustle and the Christmas rush. So many times I have wanted to go back to being a child just to look forward to the excitement of Christmas morning.

I dread the day when I get that question; “Is Santa Claus real?”

I still believe in Santa. I believe in everything he stands for.  Santa Claus represents the good in people.  He represents love, selflessness, compassion, and joy. This is the time of year that we can believe in miracles and have hope for the New Year to come.

So back to that dreaded day. My daughter is only eight years old, but I plan on making this Christmas magic last as long as I can. I know inevitably that she will come across another child who will in fact make her question the truth about Christmas. She has already asked me how Santa will get in the house since we don’t have a chimney; that was an easy one to explain. After all there are many homes in the world that don’t have a chimney so he will have to use the back door.
She also knows that the Santa at the stores is not the “real” Santa; that was another easy one to explain. Everyone knows that this time of year Santa is very busy at the North Pole so he has to have helpers at the stores for all those photo op’s and gift requests.

Another way we can keep the Spirit of Christmas alive is service. For several years I have been involved in toy collection for children in need. A few years ago my daughter was able to attend the event with me; she helped by handing out candy canes to the children. It’s an important reminder that there are people in the world that go through difficult times and we must help in any way that we can.

So what will be my answer when she does come home with that question? “Is Santa Claus real?

“Yes he is as long as you believe in him! You can believe in him by showing love and compassion to others. You can believe in him by remembering those who are lonely, sad and sick. You can believe in him by visiting his helpers at the mall. You can believe in him by writing out your Christmas list and send it to him.
Most importantly you can believe in him by remembering the true meaning of Christmas that is the birth of the Lord Jesus Christ.

We can all keep the spirit of Christmas alive, we can all be like little children and have that magic in our eyes again. So the next time someone asks you if Santa Claus is real. You too can answer; “Yes he is.”
By Author Melissa Baldwin

No comments:

Post a Comment