Thursday 25 June 2015

Inspiration for the book... My love affair with vintage by Jane Linfoot

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


People often say to write about what you know. As my life has been filled with vintage for as long as I can remember, vintage is the perfect theme for me to choose for a book.

Vintage is all about style. I first became aware of the possibilities of style when I was about eight, and dressing my Barbie doll. All the other Barbies in the class wore off the peg fashion, whereas mine rocked up to school in a mini dress I’d made out of a knitted dishcloth. I chopped up anything and everything in my quest for Barbie fashion; leather gloves, furry hats and pretty scraps of fabric from the rag bag, left over from the dresses my mum had made for me and my sisters. My Barbie had cutting edge style, and was totally unique, and what’s more I had the most fun making her that way.

My love of vintage grew when I got my first house, a derelict cottage, with a fab view of the sky through the holes in the roof. After the renovations, there was very little cash left for furniture, so I scoured the local auctions and junk shops, and came away with some wonderful finds. They were mostly bought for very little, and the second hand style fitted perfectly with the faded country interior. From then onwards, I’ve been hooked on retro.

I’ve always loved the way vintage lets you have something that no one else has. Having said that, a lot of my things have so much patina they’re actually falling to pieces. Sadly, I’m a sucker for prettiness over practicality.  Think lovely eiderdowns, which fill the room with downy feathers escaping through the holes, think chairs that groan and collapse under the weight of heavy guests. The lovely dresses I buy often have missing buttons or tears in the fabric, but are simply too beautiful to leave in the shop.

If for some reason all the super glue in the world dematerialised, I suspect that my entire world would fall apart too. I’m the person who buys what everyone else dismisses because they think it’s beyond repair, but like Izzy in the book, I love painting and rescuing furniture. And like Izzy, I have scraps of paper and fabric in frames, simply because they’re too pretty to throw away.

I love the current trend for retro which mixes timeless style from lots of different eras. It’s a fab way of embracing recycling, yet doing it with style. No rules about old and new, and so long as it looks good, anything goes.

Weaving vintage into my latest story has been so much fun. I hope you enjoy reading about it too.

The Vintage Cinema Club by Jane Linfoot

Published by Harper Impulse, ebook release date 24th May 2015, paperback 30th July 2015

Blurb

"A witty, warm-hearted romp through the lives and loves of three friends – with a cool retro vibe, and a sense of fun that will never go out of fashion." – Debbie Johnson, author of the best-selling ‘Cold Feet At Christmas’.
Meet The Vintage Cinema Club….
Izzy is a wow at making unwanted things pretty, but with three brothers and her shabby chic furniture business to run she doesn’t have time to date. Could a fabulous French proposal change her mind?
Single mum Luce’s vintage bridal dresses are exquisite, but there’s no way she’s ever going to wear one or walk down the aisle for that matter. She’s a strictly no romance, one night kind of woman – or so she thinks…
Dida seems to have it all – a chocolate and banana cake recipe to die for, lovely kids (most of the time!) and a great lifestyle. But what good is a fabulous home, when your marriage has more cracks than a pavlova and your husband is having it off with half of Lithuania?
Three retro fabulous friends, in love with all things vintage, run their dream business from the faded grandeur of a rescued cinema. When that dream comes under threat, they’ll do whatever it takes to save it.
Fans of Lucy Diamond, Michele Gorman and Milly Johnson are going to love this heartfelt, funny story.

Author Bio
I’m Jane Linfoot, and I write fun, flirty fiction, with feisty heroines and lots of heart.
I live in a mountain kingdom in Derbyshire, England, where my family and pets are kind enough to ignore the domestic chaos – happily, we’re in walking distance of a supermarket. For me, writing is cool because I get to wear pretty shoes instead of wellies. I love hearts, flowers, happy endings, all things vintage, most things french. When I’m not on facebook, and can’t find an excuse for shopping, I’ll be walking, or gardening. On days when I want to be really scared, I ride a tandem.

Author Links
Personal Page Facebook Happy to have friends
Twitter @janelinfoot
Pinterest Lots of Vintage Cinema Club character pages on Pinterest

  
Buy Links


1 comment:

  1. Thanks and big hugs for having me on your lovely blog today Simona, it's FAB to be here xx

    ReplyDelete