Saturday 30 September 2017

Music of my Childhood


Music has always been a big part of my life, so obviously I started singeng and enjoying music very early.

Playback shows were the best thing, I participated every single time! Baby One More Time was for sure one oft he songs. Then there were Don’t Speak, I Will Always Love You and many more.

My fave bands were The Backstreet Boys, Ace of Bace, The Spice Girls, NSYNC, Westlife and Atomic Kitten.

In 2000 I watched Popstars on German television. The five girls, who won formed No Angels and I was their biggest fan. According to myself anyway ;). I went to see them live in Zurich, I remember it being one of my first real live concerts. After them Bro’Sis (4 guys, 2 girls) won the contest a year after. The did pop music as well, but a bit mixed with R’n’B and rap. I went to see them in the Hallenstadion, the big concert hall in Zurich. As a supporting act there was a band called Tears (they won the Swiss version of Popstars and I liked them too).

The year after my two fave Popstars bands were formed: Preluders and Overground, the whole thing was called boys vs girls. Of course I went to their concert and there I discovered Vanilla Ninja, my absolute fave band ever. I’m still a big fan and actually sad that they are not singng together anymore.

Vanilla Ninja are from Estonia, a band of four women (three in the end), who played a mixture of pop and rock. They have incredible voices and write most of their songs themselves. I loved them so much and of course went to see them live again! The represented Switzerland in the Eurovision song contest in 2005, which was fabulous. Lenna is still very active and sings with different bands. It’s always great to hear her voice.

Other than that I really enjoyed Destiny’s Child, Avril Lavigne, The Black Eyed Peas, Green Day, Hoobastank,  Shakria and Pink. I’m sure I’m forgetting many more.

Another highlight was always Kelly Clarkson, she is just fantastic and Gareth Gates, I really loved him.

After that my adult life started, I will write about that music in a different post.

Who were your favourite acts of your childhood?

No comments:

Post a Comment