Thursday 8 May 2014

Q&A with Pat Elliott

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

















I couldn't be happier to welcome Pat Elliott on my blog today. She was so kind and answered some questions for me, so thank you hun, xxx.
Pat is a self-published author and painter. Her first book is called All in the Leaves, read my review here:
And now enjoy :)

Bio
Pat Elliott spent eighteen years of her working life in a magazine
company,  then became self employed as a reflexologist, which gave her
time to write and to paint.
She has had factual pieces published on reflexology and on adopting a
dog. 'All in the Leaves' is her first novel, with a second, 'Leaves for
Chloe', currently being written. She has also written a volume of short
stories, called 'At Sanctuary's Gate.' Pat has a website

Interview

1.     What do you enjoy most about writing?

I enjoy creating new worlds and the people in them. Some nice, some not so nice. They are all great fun!

2.     You’re a self-published author, how is it different from having a publisher?

It's different in the fact that you have to be everything, from editor to cover designer, to proofreader. Or, you have to pay people to perform certain roles, should you not wish to do everything. The good part is that your book is totally under your control and will find it's own place – or not – in people's hearts.

3.     Your first book is called All in the Leaves. Can you tell us a little more about it?

All in the Leaves is the story of a thirty year old who is dissatisfied with her life. She has her fortune told, by a tea leaf reading. This predicts a wonderful future for her and the story follows all the events that happen along the way. They aren't all good, but they help her grow as a person.

4.     What was your inspiration for All in the Leaves?

My inspiration was a real life tea leaf reading one of my friends had. I thought it would make a fabulous book, although what was predicted in my novel varies greatly from what was in that cup.

5.     You also wrote and published a book with short stories. How is it different from writing a normal novel and can you tell us more about At Sanctuary’s Gate?

For me, writing short stories is different to writing a novel, because I can explore situations without the use of much external dialogue. In my novel, the characters talk more. At Sanctuary's Gate is a compilation of seven short stories, each one with a twist at the end, which hopefully you won't have seen coming. Small stories, to be read in any coffee break, stories which will make you think – and maybe see things differently.

6.     When you’re not writing what do you enjoy most?

Painting in watercolour. Or working – reflexology.

7.     Who is your favourite author and why?

Maeve Binchy. Consistently heart warming, comforting stories that remind me of my Irish home.

8.     What are you currently working on?

I'm currently working on 'Leaves for Chloe' the next in The Leaves Series. They can all be read independantly of each other. Chloe is great fun, with one character being really, quite nasty.

9.     Where and when do you write your stories?

I write at home, mostly in the summerhouse. I tend to write when I'm not working at my day job, reflexology.

10. How would you describe your style of writing?

I would describe my writing as full of hope. It would be interesting to know how YOU would describe it!

11. You’re also a painter, how did you get into it and can you describe your style of painting?

I started painting when I became self employed. Building any business takes time and I wanted something to do in the quiet times. My painting style is loosely representational, by which I mean, you know what you're looking at, without it looking like a photo.

12. What’s the hardest part about writing?

Waiting for the editor and proofreader to come back with the changes – and feeling like a right idiot when something simple comes back!

13. If you could switch places with a character of a book, who would it be and why?

I would be Rogers from A Prisoner in Fairyland. Riding the original Starlight Express and dispensing hope and good cheer via stardust at night, while people sleep.

14. If you were shipwrecked on a desert island what 3 books would you want with you?

Firstly, I'd take a Bible. A good long read, with horror, murder, romance, compassion, love and redemption. Perfect.
Secondly, I'd take A Handbook for Light Workers. I've recently bought this and to do all the exercises inside would need me to be on a desert island, with no interruptions and no-one ruffling my feathers!
Lastly, I'd take Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. He was a Stoic Philosopher and if I'm on a desert island, not knowing when I'd be rescued, I might need to cultivate stoicism.

15. You also wrote a children’s story. What’s your favourite childhood book?

One of my short's features a child, but it's not per se a children's story. Perhaps you have been reading my tea leaves and a children's story is in my future? My favourite childrens' books are the Narnia series.

16. Coffee or tea?

 Neither. My drink of choice is water.

17. Paperback or e-reader?

E-reader. Once I used one, I was totally converted.

18. Mountains or the sea?

How about mountains by the sea? That's my ideal.

19. Summer or winter?

You're going to think I'm so contrary. Spring!

20. Sweet or salty?

Salty. Definitely more a savoury person. I'd eat crisps over cake all day long!

Your questions were fascinating, Simona and you really made me think, too. Those are the type of questions I like the most. I hope you didn't mind when I went off piste with some of the answers.

Thank you for your invitation to participate, I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

Pat on Twitter: @Feetpaintwords



2 comments:

  1. Hi Simona, I loved reading the Q n A's. Given that I am a big fan of Pat's All in the Leaves this interview was a welcome treat.A big shout for you ladies for being Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete