Wednesday 1 November 2017

Introvert vs Extrovert


When I was younger I always thought that being an introvert is something negative.

I was very shy as a child, neighbours even talked about me (in English) and my mom heard it all in the garden. They said stuff like „She doesn’t even say hello“ etc. Well, that changed and I opened up a lot. Nowadays, nobody would call me shy, they’d call me open and charismatic. I’m still shy when it comes to men though ;).

Anyway. Of course being an introvert is nothing negative. We can’t all be the same. Some of are more social and like being being surrounded by people all the time. Other people prefer to spend time alone.

No one is completely an introvert or completely an extrovert. We are a mixture. I sometimes love to be social and around my friend, but then I have also moments, where I enjoy reading a book or watching Netflix in my room. Some of us recharge their energy by being alone, others need to be surrounded by people.

I had a phase in my life, where I was very social. During my times abroad I went out every evening and had a lot of fun. I grew up though and I just know what I want know. So staying at home and enjoying a movie is just as fun. That doesn’t mean I’m a total introvert. There are dinner parties and I often go shopping and drinking coffee with friends.

I recently found this personality test and I think it’s really interesting: Myers-Briggs personality type indicator.

The Myers–Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) is an introspective self-report questionnaire claiming to indicate psychological preferences in how people perceive the world around them and make decisions. The MBTI was constructed by Katharine Cook Briggs and her daughter Isabel Briggs Myers.
There are 16 personality type profiles: https://www.16personalities.com/personality-types

These types also say a lot about being extroverted or introverted. I did the test as well. Follow this link, if you want to try it as well: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test
There is an official version as well, where you have to pay.

My results: ESFJ - A

-       Mind: 67% extroverted, 33% introverted
-       Energy: 46% intuitive, 54% observant
-       Nature (making decisions, emotions): 31% thinking, 69% feeling
-       Tactics: 76% judging, 24% prospecting
-       Identity: 63% assertive, 37% turbulent

I took the test twice and I got the same result. I’m still surprised a bit, because there are things I see differently.

I think I have an extroverted side, but I only show that side once I know people. In the beginning I’m more reserved. That changes quickly though, especially if I click with a person. I can be really loud and funny. I liking being alone though, I don’t always need to go out.

I actually asked this question on Twitter, here is the result:


Someone answered ambivert and I’m def one of those too.

We are all unique and special and that’s what is important. There is no right or wrong and it’s just important to be YOURSELF!

No comments:

Post a Comment