Tuesday 31 March 2015

The Phantom of the Opera - A Musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Souvenirs from the show

About the show:

The Phantom of the Opera is a musical with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics by Charles Hart with additions from Richard Stilgoe. Lloyd Webber and Stilgoe also wrote the musical's book together. Based on the French novel Le Fantôme de l'Opéra by Gaston Leroux, its central plot revolves around a beautiful soprano, Christine Daaé, who becomes the obsession of a mysterious, disfigured musical genius.
The musical opened in London's West End in 1986, and on Broadway in 1988. It won the 1986 Olivier Award and the 1988 Tony Award for Best Musical, and Michael Crawford (in the title role) won the Olivier and Tony Awards for Best Actor in a Musical. It is the longest running show in Broadway history by a wide margin, and celebrated its 10,000th Broadway performance on 11 February 2012, the first production ever to do so. It is the second longest-running West End musical, after Les Misérables, and the third longest-running West End show overall, after The Mousetrap.
With total estimated worldwide gross receipts of over $5.6 billion (the highest in history) and total Broadway gross of US$845 million (surpassed only by The Lion King), Phantom is the most financially successful entertainment event to date. By 2011 it had been seen by over 130 million people in 145 cities in 27 countries, and continues to play in both London and New York.

About the show:

I've been a fan of the Phantom of the Opera for ages. I always liked Andrew Lloyd Webber as a musical composer anyway and I always wanted to see that show. Well, my mum has already seen it, so she was never keen on going again, so I finally took the chance now, going to London alone.
I booked the show for Friday evening at 7.30 pm. I knew my flight was at 3.55 pm and since going to London I was winning an hour, arriving in the UK at 4.45 pm. Of course then my plane got delayed... We took off one hour late. I was getting a bit stressed about arriving, taki g train and taxi, eating, getting changed and going to the theatre. it was stessful, but I made it.

Now, enough about that, will talk about the show now. I was sitting row Q, so prezty far back and I had a pilar in front of me, I knew that though, they warned me when I booked it. Ir made it a bit difficult to see everything, I had to switch from left to rufht and back etc. I still enjoyed every second of it. The music of this musical is very powerful and strong and that came across really well. The orchestra did an amazing job and I got really emotional hearing the songs. I have a strong connection to some of them, because I sang them myslef at concertsand presentations, especially Angel of Music (sang it with a good friend at a concert in high school) and All I Ask of You, which I sang for my thesis presentation with an almost boyfriend...

The actors on stage did a great job, they sang beautifully and put a lot of feelings into it. The guy, who played the Phantom (Geronimo Rauch) was fab! I liked Christine as well, but her voice wasn't special to me. The voive of guy playing Raul (Liam Tamne)though was wonderful, just wow! I like it when guys can sing like that...

The scenery and costumes were amazing, there were so many different sets, probs and costume changes, very impressive and beautiful! The effects were great and I liked the way the Phantom spoke and sang from somewhere in the theatre, loud and then almost whispering, really good.

It was a gripping show with lots of memorable moments. I'm glad I've seen it now, wouldn't go for a second time though, unless I now the actors ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment