Tuesday 17 May 2016

Solo Traveling


So, this yearI went to the States fort wo weeks by myself. I have been on language stays in the UK, France and Canada by myself, but that’s different.

Three big city and me, by myself. The good thing about solo traveling?! Well, I’m on my own budget, so I was able to book the flights I wanted and go to the hotels I wanted. Ever since I earn my own money I can decide that myself, but when you travel with friends, they might have another budget and 2** or 3*** hotels are ok for them. Form e it has to be a 4**** hotel, because I want to feel comfortable, have the amenities and also have enough space.

I chose hotels in safe areas and read tips on safety in each of these cities. Like „not walking around in a park when it’s dark“ etc. Being safe is always important, but especially when you’re alone. In New York after the shows and the hockey game I tried to walk on busy streets and lots of lights and I have to see I never felt scared. I always had my bad close to me and covered the zip with my hands.

I was able tot o what I wanted all the time. What to do, where to go, what to eat, when to get up etc. It gave me a lot of freedom and I really enjoyed this. Other people have other interests, so you always have to compromise. There are only a small bunch people, who are so similar to me that it would work.

It all definitely helped with me confidence. I would say I was pretty confident before, but it made me even stronger. I can make my own mistakes and experience my own highlights. You will learn and have the best time like that.

Taking pictures is always a little difficult alone, especially without a selfie stick ;). So what I did: I took normal selfies and in certain places I just asked some people. I always looked at the people first and tried to figure out, if I could trust them. Sometimes there were people who spoke German, so I asked them. It somehow makes them feel good as well, when you speak their language. YOu can also always ask, if you should take a picture oft hem as well.

Solo dining, yes! Well, when solo traveling you still have to eat and you still want to eat at restaurants. You just have to get used to sitting by yourself, it might look awkward, but you don’t know these people. Some restaurants have special seats for you sometimes, at the bar, boots, a smaller lounge or something like that. Talk tot he waiter and entertain yourslef with your phone. Outdoor dining is agood possibilty, but for that you need good weather.
Room service is another possibilty, or you could just buy a salad or something at a grocery store and eat it in the hotel room.

Here are some of my tips:

-       If it doesn't feel right, don't do it.
-       Carry good identification, in more than one place.
-       Keep to open and public places, especially at night.
-       Exude confidence and walk purposefully.
-       Don't draw attention to yourself by wearing flashy clothes or jewellery.
-       Lie a little. „I’m meeting a friend.“
-       Check your maps and transportation schedules before leaving your hotel.
-       Leave a copy of your itinerary with a friend or family member at home.
-       Plan in advance.

Also, you will meet people! Whatever you do, people start talking to you and you might have a companion for a while. Tours are great places to meet people and also shows or a hockey game, as I found out. I had some nice guys sitting next to me and we started talking, that’s all you need. 


No comments:

Post a Comment