Thursday 28 May 2015

Reel Them In! - A Guest Post by Julie Shackman

Image and video hosting by TinyPic



















It doesn’t happen very often.
Hardly at all.
But if on the odd occasion I do start to read a book and find I’m not enjoying it, I have to stop.

I didn’t used to do this. I was one of those readers who would carry on regardless. I would experience feelings of guilt that I wasn’t getting absorbed by the story or characters which somebody had put a lot of effort into. Therefore I would continue to read, trying to ignore the lack of enthusiasm I had about picking up that particular book again.

I think this is a fear many writers have (and I include myself in this). That your opening chapters are not compelling enough to keep your readers hooked.

When you pick up a novel which achieves this in the first few pages, there is no other greater feeling. 

I always remember advice like “You can’t edit a blank piece of paper”, so I try to get my first draft down – then the hard work begins later, as we all know, with tweaking, editing and polishing!

Reading is one of the most enjoyable, fascinating and thrilling pastimes and knowing you’ve captivated your readers from the beginning, (or at least hope you have) is what it’s all about.

So go on – Hook Those Readers and don’t let them get away!

Julie X

About the author


I trained as a journalist but writing romance has always been a dream of mine. When I’ve not got my head in a book or drafting one, I write verses and captions for greetings card companies. Writing at home seems to be incredibly difficult for me – I usually require tea, music and noise.
My second romcom, "Hero or Zero" is out now. “Rock My World” was my debut romcom and I'm currently writing my third.
I’m married, have two sons and live in Scotland.

Links: 


Blurb - "Hero or Zero"

When single mum Chloe Jones wins a magazine competition to have TV heartthrob Ethan Blake live with her for a month, she thinks her dreams have come true. And the presence of the handsome star in her home and small Scottish town certainly causes a stir. But when Chloe begins to see his true colours, will she find the courage to face him, and admit where her heart truly lies? 

No comments:

Post a Comment