Wednesday 2 July 2014

You're The One That I Want - by Giovanna Fletcher


Original Cover
My own copy














The blurb:

Maddy, dressed in white, stands at the back of the church. At the end of the aisle is Rob - the man she's about to marry. Next to Rob is Ben - best man and the best friend any two people ever had.

And that's the problem.

Because if it wasn't Rob waiting for her at the altar, there's a strong chance it would be Ben. Loyal and sensitive Ben has always kept his feelings to himself, but if he turned round and told Maddy she was making a mistake, would she listen? And would he be right?

Best friends since childhood, Maddy, Ben and Rob thought their bond was unbreakable. But love changes everything. Maddy has a choice to make but will she choose wisely? Her heart, and the hearts of the two best men she knows, depend on it...

My Opinion:

You’re The One That I Want is Giovanna Fletcher’s second novel and I loved Billy and Me, so I couldn’t wait to get started on this story. I was so happy when this book arrived at my doorstep.

The story follows Maddy, who is about to get married to her childhood sweetheart Robert. Next to Robert at the end of the aisle, there is Ben, the best man and their best friend. Maddy is in love with Robert, but the thing is she also loves Ben, did she make the right decision?

The story gets back to their childhood, starting from the moment they have met and as a reader we can dive into their past, reading about how the three of them got to know each other.
We get to read the whole thing from Maddy’s and also Ben’s perspective and it was great to have them both being able to express their feelings. I felt really close to them both and Robert wasn’t left out at all, we also get to learn a lot more about him as well.

As the story develops they grow older and the topic of first loves comes up. Ben has been in love with Maddy for a long time, but then in Paris it’s Robert who kisses her and they develop a sweet and adorable relationship.
When it’s time to go to colleague Ben and Maddy go to Bristol and Robert ends up in Nottingham. Robert ends doing a big mistake and that’s where Ben is finally honest about his feelings, but will that change anything.
After that the story developed in a surprising way for me, but that made the story even more interesting and gripping. What will Maddy do about her feelings and will all three of them find their happiness somehow? The epilogue gives a cute and adorable answer to that, but getting there was full of real emotions. I just wanted all three of them to find their happily ever after…

The one thing I liked the most about this book was the friendship between Ben, Maddy and Robert. Everybody deserves friends like that, just wanting the best for each other. They always had a true connection.

So now, Team Ben or Team Robert. I have to say Team Ben all the way from the start, he’s perfect, loyal, caring, sweet and a little shy, but he’s a guy every girl dreams off. I got a bit annoyed with his behaviour at one point, but I understood why he was doing it. Towards the end of the book I got to like Robert more and more as well, I took a while though, so def Team Ben.

So Giovanna did it again, well done fabulous lady! Her writing is just beautiful and with such a clear narrative voice. The characters were developed in such a great way and I just couldn’t put this book down!!!

Rating:

My passible cast:

Maddy: Brittany Snow
















Robert: Drew Van Acker
















Ben: Theo James






















Giovanna on Twitter: @MrsGiFletcher




1 comment:

  1. Great cast, very well chosen too! I loved this book! I will just continue saying how much I like your idea of choosing a cast for each of the books you read :).

    ReplyDelete