Saturday 24 September 2016

Sky' Musical Corner - Musical Q&A with Eleanor


1.    What’s your favourite musical ever?

This is such a tough question! I have a bunch of favourite musicals depending on my mood. For example, South Pacific is the first musical I go to if I’m feeling under the weather; or, Memphis is my favourite overall performance. But generally, I’d say my favourite musical is Les Misérables. The music gets me every time and I love a good period drama.

2.    What comes to mind when you hear the word Musical?

The word ‘musical’ just makes me smile, as cliché as that is. It’s just something that makes me really happy and evokes a whole range of emotions. Whether being in the audience, or being on stage, musicals and theatre make me happy.

3.    Have you ever seen a Musical on the West End or Broadway?

Yes! I have seen over 30 shows in the West End and on Broadway. I have been very lucky. I also review professional theatre for my blog which I absolutely love doing.

4.    What’s the next musical you want to see?

I am very excited for School of Rock and Dreamgirls which are coming to the West End later in the year.

5.    Which musicals have you seen live?

There are too many to name!

6.    What’s your favourite song out of a musical?

Another tough question! My absolute favourite overture is from Carousel, ‘The Carousel Waltz’; it immediately takes me back to my childhood where I used to watch it virtually every week. And according to my iPod, my most listened to musical theatre song is ‘Guns and Ships’ from Hamilton, which says a lot as I haven’t had the cast album long. It’s probably because I’m constantly replaying it to get the rap bit right!


7.    Who’s your favourite Musical actress?

Probably Rachel John. Seeing her in Memphis literally blew me away, my jaw was on my chest for the entirety of her performance as the female lead. Her voice is just outstanding.

8.    Who’s your favourite Musical actor?

To be honest, I don’t have a particular favourite actor, just loads and loads that I really love. One of my favourite performances has to be Michael Ball in Sweeney Todd though…

9.    Best Musical movie you have ever seen?

My favourite movie musical has to be Chicago. I love the era and the costumes and the choreography. Just all round greatness, absolute classic.

10. Which book would you turn into a musical?

Ooh, good question. I was going to say Pride and Prejudice because it would have really cool costumes and it could be super feminist, and Darcy could have a really moody number, but apparently it’s a real thing already!

11. Which musical has the best soundtrack?

My favourite musical soundtrack at the moment is probably Hamilton, because it’s super fast paced, gives historical content, and you get the whole musical from the soundtrack.

12. Take your favourite Musical and put together your own dream cast.

I think I’ve been lucky to already see my dream cast in a musical. Memphis was perfectly cast for me, especially with Rachel John as Felicia, I have never reacted to a musical in the way that I reacted to Memphis. I’d love to see Rachel John in more West End shows.

13. Who is your favourite Musical composer?

My favourite musical composer is probably Richard Rodgers with lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II. These are absolute classics that I watched on repeat as a kid and are now forever ingrained on me.

14. Which Musical made/makes you cry?

The last musical to make me cry was Titanic the Musical when I saw it in May 2016 at the Charing Cross Theatre. It was so intimate, I cried at the overture.

Thank you!

Eleanor
Twitter: @thatssohermione
Instagram: @eleanorlovescats


No comments:

Post a Comment