Thursday 8 January 2015

Q&A with Joanna Bolouri

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


















I'm very happy to welcome the lovely Joanna Bolouri on my blog, she kindly answered some questions for me.

1.    Did you always dream of being a writer?

I always wanted to write yes but I never thought I was good enough. Then I hit 30 and thought, it’s now or never and penned my first novel.

2.    Your first novel The List was published last year, what is it about?

The List follows a year in the life of Phoebe Henderson who decides to reinvent herself by devising a list of ten things she’s always wanted to try in bed, in an attempt to finally get over her ex boyfriend Alex.

3.    What was your inspiration for the book?

     The idea actually came from a conversation with some friends. It was a subject that everyone had an opinion on.

4.    Tell us more about the main character Phoebe.

Phoebe is stuck in a rut, unhappy and needs to do something to drag herself out of her situation.  She’s very funny, loyal, sharp but naïve when it comes to men.

5.    What are you working on right now? 

At the moment I’m working on edits for my second novel, I Followed the Rules.

6.    Where and when do you write your stories?

When my daughter was little I had to write late at night while she slept, so this has become my routine. I do try to work while she’s in school but I’m very much the night owl. I’d love to have a writing room but sadly, I write on my couch.

7.    What do you do and enjoy when you’re not writing?

I’m a big fan of napping but mostly I like seeing my friends as often as possible, listening to music, reading and buying make up I don’t need.

8.    If you could switch places with a character from a book, who would it be and why?

Would have to be Phoebe.  Once you’ve read Oliver’s character, you’ll understand why!

9.    Who is your favourite author and why?

      Stephen King. His books just grab you by the throat.

10.   What books have most influenced your life most?

I  read a lot of Ruth Manning Sanders, Tolkien and Enid Blyton growing up, before I discovered Stephen King.  I think anything which has a supernatural element gave me a bigger imagination.  Blyton just wrote amazing stories about friendship and adventure.

11.   What was the hardest part of writing your book?

     The editing stage. Having to cut something you love but doesn’t actually add anything to story is always tough.

12.  How would you describe your style of writing?

Honest and fun.  I love to write dialogue.

13.  If you could plan the perfect holiday, what would it be? 

     With my daughter – somewhere warm with massive waterslides and a good beach. With my friends – a city break with cocktails and dancing.

14.  What do you enjoy most about writing?

I get to make shit up and hopefully make people laugh! It’s a slog sometimes but an absolute pleasure.

15.    Imagine The List would be turned into a movie, who would you cast for the main characters?

This changes a lot. At the moment it would be Jamie Dornan as Oliver and maybe Emily Blunt as Phoebe.

16.  Coffee or tea?

     Coffee during the day, tea at night.

17.  Paperback or e-reader?

      Paperback. 

18.  Mountains or the sea?

      Sea

19.  Summer or winter?

      Summer!

20.  Sweet or salty?

Both – I even mix my popcorns :)


No comments:

Post a Comment