Saturday 4 March 2017

When you love the first book of an author and then the spark is gone

I think this is something that happened to every book blogger/reader. You read a debut novel or just your first book by a certain author and you just love it!

You are very excited about the book, the author and you can’t wait to read the next book by them.

Then it happens, the next book comes out and you read it immediately. Unfortunately, it was just not what you expected and you are actually disappointed. When you know the author and you call them a friend you also feel bad.

Of course this is not something that happens a lot, but it can occur.

The disappointment lasts for a while, but then you kind of get over it. I always remind myself that tastes are different and you can’t like everything. It might be the storyline, it might be the location or the characters. We relate to some things more than to other and we also have your own opinion about life. What happens in a story doesn’t always appeal to us and that’s natural.

What I think is really important not to give up on the author, give it another go, maybe read another book by them and if the spark doesn’t come back you might stop reading their books for a while.

Taking a break from the author and maybe also the genre can help. You read other things and enjoy reading this way. Book bloggers all know that we read books we don’t like, it’s part of our blogging life. Most authors are very understanding though and if you explain your thoughts they can also learn something for the readers, because in the end we buy the books.

Has this happened to you? What did you do about it?! 


2 comments:

  1. I don't think this has happened to me fortunately, but then you have probably read a lot more books than me! It must be really frustrating but good you've got methods to overcome it.
    Amy at Amy & More

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, you are only ever as good as your latest book. Such a difficult thing. I have been there as a reader. I commend you for not giving up. I'm afraid I tend to.

    ReplyDelete