Thursday 1 September 2016

Welcome to Sky’s Musical Corner


Happy September my lovelies!

This month is a bit special on my blog, let me tell you why. As some of you might now I’m in a theatre group and this month we will finally have our performances for CHESS. We have been rehearsing since March and now it’s finally time, I’m really excited about it.

We have six performances: Sept 16, 17, 18, 23, 24, 25 and maybe even an additional one. That means I will be very busy, also before the premiere, because we have tech rehearsals, dress rehearsals and all that jazz. This means that next to work I won’t really have time for anything else, hence why I came up with this idea. A month full of Musical related posts. I will be talking about the show, rehearsals and much more, see schedule below. I have also asked some of my friends to join me with guest posts or answering my special Q&A, thanks for that lovelies xxx.

I will also introduce you to some books that include musicals or other form of music.

There will be the occasional book review in between, depending on how much time I get to read. I hope you enjoy this special month J.

I found a list on goodreads on books about musicals, have a look here: https://www.goodreads.com/list/tag/musical-theater

To properly get into the topic, I thought I’d answer the Musical Q&A as well, so here we go:

1.  What’s your favourite musical ever?

For a musical theatre lover this is an impossible question, but I’m still going to answer it. I once posted my Top 5 Musicals on this blog, but that has definitely changed. My top two without a doubt are Les Mis and Wicked though! I love everything about these two shows!!!



2.  What comes to mind when you hear the word Musical?

Happiness, bliss, joy! The perfect combination of singing, dancing and acting. It’s just always so much fun to see everything turn into one perfect story and it’s only complete with all three elements together.

3.  Have you ever seen a Musical on the West End or Broadway?

There are so many!!! Broadway is easy, cause I have only been to NYC once and I’ve seen School of Rock and Fun Home.
West End is a different story, because every time I go to London I see at least two shows and I go to London almost every year, once or twice. Let me put together a list, but I might forget some: Into the Woods, Aladdin, Book of Mormom, Kinky Boots, Les Mis (2x), The Phantom of the Opera, “Assassins”, Billy Elliot, Singing in the Rain, Matilda, Oliver!, Blood Brothers, Wicked, Sound of Music, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Coat, A Chorus Line etc.



4.  What’s the next musical you want to see?

Hmmm. That’s difficult, I want to see so many! One would definitely be Chess, but it’s not running. Others would be Spring Awakening, Newsies, Hamilton, Hairspray, Memphis, Finding Neverland and many more.

5.  Which musicals have you seen live?

In addition to the ones mentioned in question three, I have seen West Side Story, We Will Rock You, Mamma Mia, Hair, Fame, Grease, Guys and Dolls, Kiss Me Kate, Oklahoma, Company, Sunday in the Park with George, Avenue Q, Annie, Bonnie and Clyde, Pippin, Lion King, Tanz der Vampire, Jesus Christ Superstar, Sweeney Todd etc.

6.  What’s your favourite song out of a musical?

Well, that’s a difficult one as well obviously, so I will mention a few.
-      Les Mis: On My Own, Do You Hear the People Sing?
-      Wicked: Defiying Gravity, As Long As You’re Mine
-      Chess: All of them! The music is so fab!
-      Oliver!: Who Will Buy, As Long As He Needs Me

I could go on, but I won’t…



7.  Who’s you favourite Musical actress?

That’s hard, I’ve seen a lot of good performances: Carrie Hope Fletcher (Les Mis), Jodie Prenger (Oliver!), Kathrine McPhee in Smash (TV show).

8.  Who’s you favourite Musical actor?

Aaron Tveit! I loved him in the Les Mis movie and then I saw him live in “Assassins” in London, he is so talented, his voice is amazing and he is very handsome ;).



9.  Best Musical movie you have ever seen?

Les Mis!!!

10.               Which book would you turn into a musical?

I think, that’s the most difficult one of them all for me. There are so many fab books out, who deserve to be turned into a musical, I’m thinking about the one that would make most sense. I think One Hundred Proposals by Holly Martin would be quite fun, would this special love story and all these exotic places. And maybe the whole Johnny Jefferson series by Paige Toon, Johnny’s story and new also his daughter’s. And obviously Harry Potter!

11.               Which musical has the best soundtrack?

I’m tempted to say Chess, but I’ve listened to this soundtrack over and over again in the past few months. I really like the Hairspray soundtrack and Wicked as well.

12.               Take your favourite Musical and put together your own dream cast.

Hmmm, I loved (most) of the cast in the Les Mis movie! And seeing as Aaron Tveit was once Fiyero in Wicked it’s all good.

13.               Who is your favourite Musical composer?

I have to say I like Andrew Lloyd Webber, but I kind of got bored of him. Stephen Sondheim is brilliant!

14.               Which Musical made/makes you cry?

Easy! Blood Brothers and Les Mis, I have to cry every single time, also when I’m just listening to the songs.



Here is the schedule for Sky's Musical Corner:


Sending all my love!

No comments:

Post a Comment