Thursday 23 November 2017

German vs English


In the German language we have so pretty funny expressions and idioms, especially when you translate them, word be word into English. So I thought to give you all a laugh, I will write down some. I put together a little chart with the German, the direct translation and then the meaning or the expression you actually use.

German
Translation
Meaning/ EN expression
Jetzt haben wir den Salat.
Now we have the salad.
The have a big chaos.
Ich glaub ich spinne.
I think I spider.
I think I’m going crazy.
Ich versteh nur Bahnhof.
I understand just train station.
It’s all Greek to me.
Ich seh Schwarz für dich.
I see black for you.
Be pessimistic.
Alles für die Katz.
All for the cat.
All for naught/nothing.
Den Teufel wird ich tun.
The devil will I do.
Attitude to do nothing at all.
Ich drück dir die Daumen.
I press you the thumbs.
Fingers crossed
Ich lach mich tot.
I laugh me dead.
I laugh myself to death.
Mach ne Fliege.
Make a fly.
Get lost!
Ich mach mich auf die Socken.
I make me on the sock.
I’ll get going.
Du nimmst mich auf den Arm.
You take me on the arm
You’re pulling my leg.
Das ist mir Wurst!
This is me sausage!
I don’t care.  
Die Katze im Sack kaufen.
To buy the cat in a bag.
To buy a pig in a poke.
Du gehst mir tierisch auf den Keks.
You go me animally on the cookie.
You drive me crazy!
Ich habe die Nase voll davon!
I have the nose full of it.
I’m sick of it.
Fix und fertig sein.
To be fixed and finished.
I’m all wiped out.
Das Leben ist kein Ponyhof.
Life is no pony farm.
Life isn’t a rose garden.

There are lots more and I think they are just hilarious. Stores even sell cards with the literal English translation.

What German words and expressions do you know?!

No comments:

Post a Comment