Saturday 8 November 2014

Books I'd Like To Live In by Jenny Duffy

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


“Books have to be heavy because the whole world's inside them.”


Inkheart is a book I read years ago, but it has always stayed with me and I have re-read it many times since. It is one of those books that I vividly remember reading the first time. It is a book I would recommend to any book lover – it is about characters being read out of books and into the real world, and every chapter starts with a quote from a book. Inkheart is a magical fantasy adventure, and is one of my favourite books. I love Inkspell, especially getting to see the Inkworld the characters in the first book came from. And the thought of being able to read yourself into a book is so amazing! The wait for Inkdeath, the final book in the trilogy, was agonising...I think it was the first time I experienced waiting years for a book to come out. When I got a proof copy in my local bookshop to review, I screamed with delight. So, the Inkworld is the world I have chosen  for this post, although there are so many fictional worlds I would love to live in (I’m still hoping my Hogwarts letter will turn up!). I will avoid talking much about the plot, I don’t want to ruin any of the wonderful suspense for those who haven yet to read the book!

The first glimpse we get of the Inkworld is in Inkspell. Meggie and Farid arrive in the Wayless Wood, a beautiful, light-filled place: ‘carpets of moss, pools of cool water, flowers and sweet berries everywhere, trees growing up to the sky, and the voices of their leaves speaking to the wind above you.’ The Inkworld seems to glisten in the descriptions, I found myself wishing I could read myself there as the characters had! Even without the fairies and the magic, the Inkworld seems like an enchanting place I would love to live in – forests, castles, sparkling lakes, bustling medievalesque towns.


Yes, it is a dark and dangerous place, but it is also a world of fire-eaters, glassmen and fairies, a world where reading has power. This intrigue and adventure is what made the books so gripping, and the magic is one of the main reasons I would love to live in the Inkworld. But I’m not sure how well I would cope with many of Meggie’s adventures in the Inkworld...I definitely wouldn’t fancy my chances against Mortola or Basta!



A movie of Inkheart was released in 2008, but (in my opinion) the books are much better! If you haven’t read the trilogy yet I would highly recommend it. Cornelia Funke has said she may write another book about the Inkworld, so even if I can’t visit the Wayless Wood or The Castle of the Night in person hopefully I will be reading about them again before long...



Thank you so much Simona for having me on your blog, I loved the series idea. If I work out a way for us all to read ourselves into books I will let you know!



Twitter: @Jenny_books_art

No comments:

Post a Comment