Saturday 26 January 2019

Musical Review - Miss Saigon


About the show: 

Miss Saigon is a musical by Claude-Michel Schönberg and Alain Boublil, with lyrics by Boublil and Richard Maltby, Jr. It is based on Giacomo Puccini's opera Madame Butterfly, and similarly tells the tragic tale of a doomed romance involving an Asian woman abandoned by her American lover. The setting of the plot is relocated to 1970s Saigon during the Vietnam War, and Madame Butterfly's story of marriage between an American lieutenant and a geisha is replaced by a romance between a United States Marine and a South Vietnamese bargirl.
The musical was premièred at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, London, on 20 September 1989, closing after 4,092 performances on 30 October 1999. It opened on Broadway at the Broadway Theatre on April 11, 1991, and subsequently played in many other cities and embarked on tours. Prior to the opening of the 2014 London revival, it was claimed that Miss Saigon had set a world record for opening day ticket sales, with sales in excess of £4m reported. 
The musical represented Schönberg and Boublil's second major success, following Les Misérables in 1985. As of April 2017, Miss Saigon remains Broadway's thirteenth longest-running show.  

My opinion: 

I was finally able to see this show!!! I wanted to for a really long time and when they announced that the UK touring company is coming to Zurich, the decision was made. 

I listened to the soundtrack several times before going and I already fell in love with the music then. No surprise it’s by the same composers, who wrote Les Misérables. 

The story was very easy to follow, but let me tell you one thing, it’s really intense, but so well done. The scenery was great, the helicopter scene was done in a fantastic way and I always felt like being right there with the characters. This is true for so many other scenes as well. 

The music is amazing, very emotional and gives me goosebumps every single time. The actors added a lot of charm and charisma with their acting, wow! Certain scenes very powerful and strong, just how it needed to be. There are so many wonderful songs in this show. My faves are I Still Believe, Bui Doi, This ist he Hour, The Movie in My Mind and Last Night oft he World. 

The actors were brilliant especially Ashley Gilmour, who played Chris and  Sooha Kim, who played Kim. He has an amazing voice and she was perfect fort he part. She was tiny, but wow can she sing!

I had to cry several times during this musical. It’s actually a really sad story, with a sad ending, but it’s a must see!!! It's touching, I loved it! I would definitely go and see it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment