Saturday 6 October 2018

Different on holiday




I don’t know about you guys, but when I’m traveling I tend to be a little different than at home. There are several things I sometimes don’t feel comfortable with here in Switzerland or just don’t do that often etc. 

One of those things is eating out alone in a restaurant. I never do that at home. Of course it’s because I go out with friends and family, but I don’t feel comfortable doing it. I have done some solo traveling now and there it’s never an issue. Yes, I don’t know the people, so there is no reason to be embarrassed. It’s also some quality alone time. Or you can text on your phone and do other things on it, read a book, watch something on TV and sometimes it’s the chance to start a conversation with a stranger. I love meeting new people while solo traveling. 

Another thing is being introverted and talking to strangers. I always need time doing this at home. On holiday it’s the best thing ever. I’m open, talk to strangers, ask locals questions etc. I was always a bit shy, but it changes when I’m away. It depends on the situation as well. When there are a lot of people it’s different again. 

At home I like to spend time in the house/apartment. There could be weekends inside, even if the weather is nice. I go hiking yes, but I don’t really do any outdoor activities at home, except for shopping ;). On holiday I want to explore everything, see all the sights, try new things etc. It’s just so much fun. Waking up early is no problem ;). 

I had a phase when I liked going out every weekend here is Switzerland. Then I just enjoyed going to bars with friends, to actually be able to talk. When in another country, especially during my language stays I went out a lot. 

Most of these things are also easier abroad, because you don't know the people. It doesn't matter what you do. You go home again and these people will (probably) never see you again. 

How about you? Are you different on holiday as well?!

No comments:

Post a Comment