Saturday 10 December 2016

Simona’s Cosy Corner of Christmas – Music


Well, well our good old Christmas songs, thank god for very modern covers ;).

This year my choir sings this great Christmas concert for the third time in this fabulous venue. The songs have changed a little every single time and we all know that there are some annoying Christmas songs and some we really get excited about.

Let me start with the ones that I don’t like too much. First of Silent Night, there also is a German version called Stille Nacht, it’s safe to say that I don’t like either of them. Equally annoying is O Du Fröhliche.

During the concert we sings classics like Halleluiah, Jingle Bells, Adeste Fideles or Joy to the World. We also sing a medley called A Festive Christmas including First Nowell, Away in a Manger (love this one), Deck the Halls, Angels from the Realms of Glory and Hark the Herald.

We also sing a German Christmas medley with all the classics: O Tannenbaum, Leise rieselt der Schnee or Fröhliche Weihnacht Überall. I have never been a big fan of these songs, I prefer the English ones.

Last Christmas, yes most of you will say you don’t like the sing. Listen to this version, it’s sung by a Swiss accapella band and they made me fall in love with the song.

A good bet when it comes to Christmas songs are Pentatonix, their versions of the Christmas songs are amazing. Then there are also Celtic Woman who have some great versions. One of my fave Christmas songs ever is Ding Dong Merrily on High.


Another one is Oh Holy Night, it’s perfect for Christmas. Here are some more I really like: The Little Drummer Boy, A Winter’s Tale, Santa Claus is Coming tow Town, This Christmas, All I Want For Christmas, Rockin Around the Christmas Tree, A Holly Jolly Christmas or The Jingle Bell Rock. Michael Buble has some pretty great covers of these songs.


When I was at university I had to teach 6th graders some Christmas songs. This one is by far my favourite out of these and it was so much fun, because the kids really enjoyed the song: Shake Up Christmas by Train.


Some songs are always connected to Christmas for me, but they are not my favourites like Santa Baby, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Do They Know It’s Christmas, Let it Snow or We Wish You A Merry Christmas.

Of course there are many more, but these are the ones that have a meaning for me. What are your favourite Christmas songs? 

No comments:

Post a Comment