Wednesday 1 April 2015

Musical Review - Les Miserables

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
About the show:

Les Misérables (pronounced /l ˌmɪzəˈrɑːb/French pronunciation: ​[le mizeʁabl(ə)]),
colloquially known as Les Mis or Les Miz(/l ˈmɪz/) is a sung-through musical based on the novel Les Misérables by French poet and novelist Victor Hugo. It has music by Claude-Michel Schönberg, original French lyrics by Alain Boublil and Jean-Marc Natel, with an English-language libretto by Herbert Kretzmer.
Set in early 19th-century France, it is the story of Jean Valjean, a French peasant, and his quest for redemption after serving nineteen years in jail for having stolen a loaf of bread for his sister's starving child. Valjean decides to break his parole and start his life anew after a kindly bishop inspires him by a tremendous act of mercy, but he is relentlessly tracked down by a police inspector named Javert. Along the way, Valjean and a slew of characters are swept into a revolutionary period in France, where a group of young idealists make their last stand at a street barricade.


My opinion: 
Of course I booked a second show as well, I mean I had two evening un London, so... I was thinking what to book for the second one, a new show or one I really really loved and wanted to see again?! Well, it was really last minute and there wern't good seats availabe for a decent price, I checked for Cats for example, so I decided to see Les Mis again, it's my faveourite show and I was excited to see Carrie Hope Fletcher live on stage, been following her vlogs and I reallxy like her voice.

I was in row S this time, but didn't mind, since I had already seen the show before. The ouverture of the show is just so awesome and I was gripped from the first second. I know the story and songs off by heart and it was hard for me not to sing along. The whole cast was fabulous, they put so muvh engery, emtions and power into their story. I liked both Javert and Jean Valjean, bht there was something missing, a spark, the same with Enjolras. Well, I guess I will always have to movie in mind, so nobody stands a change against Hugh Jackman and Aaron Tveit. I really liked Rob Houchen, the guy who played Marius, had did a great job and actually reminded me of Eddie Redmayne a bit. Fantine was great, really moving performance actually and the girl playing Cosette was great as well. It's a difficult role to sing, but she did a fab job. I loved little Cosette, so cute and adorable. And theboy playing Gavroche was just awesome! His parts to singare so difficult and for a child that was very impressive, and he was also a great actor.
Now Carrie Hope Fletcher was my fave I have to say, she did an amazing job, her acting was brilliant and On My Own got my to tears.

Carrie Hope Fletcher and Rob Houchen
And guess what, that was not the only time I cried and got emotional. The scene where Eponine is lying in Marius' arms and is dying was very moving and touching, the singing was full of emotions. And then again when the students die during the barricade and not long after Marius sings Empty Chairs and Empty Tables, the dead ones appear on stage again...
And last but not least the end, when the whole cast sings Do You Hear The People Sing, just wow! More and more if the dead roles join in and then the whole cast sings it, it was very powerful and moving. Do You Hear the People Sing is one if my fave songs anyway, next to On My Own, At the End of the Day and One Day More.
On Day More happens just before the intervall and it has so much effect, especially with these small movements the do, which signifies marching.

The scenery and effects were brilliant, ine part of the scenery changing from a normal house kind if thing to the barricade hiding point, turning around. Part of the stage was moving sometimes, which help the story
Ine flow beautifully.

It was definjtely mire than worth it seeing this show again, I can't recommend ut enough, the music and the lyrics are fab!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment