Saturday 27 June 2015

My First Year of Teaching

Image and video hosting by TinyPic



















One year ago, I finished my studies at uni and got my teacher’s diploma and I also signed a
contract with the school I’m working for now.
It has been a long journey to find my right job, but a year later I have to say it’s the perfect fit.

It’s a private school and it’s bilingual. I love languages, so that’s huge for me. Half of the lessons are taught in German and half of them are taught in English, except for French of course, I teach that in French ;) I love the international atmosphere at work and I got to know so many great colleagues from all over the world.

In this school year I taught 5th and 6th grade, I am also the grade 6 classroom advisor. I have to say that this age group is the best fit for me. I really enjoyed teaching the 10 – 12 year olds. They are independent, clever and they are able to prepare presentations. It’s fun to challenge them with different tasks and exercises. I mostly teach them Math, German and French. For me it’s really important to engage the students and also let them have some fun with games and other things. I always start a lesson with a game connected to the subject. It's the best when you see they lights go on in their heads and they understand a topic. 

The students have been great this year, so nice, clever and they showed me several times, that they like me as a teacher and that they like my lessons. Being classroom advisor adds more duty of course. The contact with the parents and organising different events etc. It has been a lot of work, but I really enjoyed it. My colleagues have been a great support and help.

In the second semester I got the opportunity to take over the drama club after school. I rehearsed for a musical with the kids, which was a lot of fun. The performance was yesterday and the parents loved it (the kids skipped some parts, but nobody realized). 

My first year of teaching has passed so fast, I can’t believe it’s been a year! It has opened new possibilities for me and I really enjoy working at this school, with great kids, a wonderful team and beautiful surroundings.

I will miss my grade 6, they were an awesome class to start my teaching career with. Happy I will still see some of them at school, because they are going to a higher section on campus.
Looking forward to the next school year, with new kids and also some other subjects to teach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment