Thursday 12 March 2015

Q&A with Scarlet Smith

Image and video hosting by TinyPic



1.  Did you always dream of being a writer?

Always. From the age of nine onwards I was always writing something though it took me a long time to ever finish anything. I seemed to have lots of good ideas but actually putting in the work to get them written was a different matter.

2.  Your debut novella Spice was just published, what is it about?

Spice is an erotic romance. It sees Jess get an assignment from the magazine that she writes for, wondering if anyone can go from vanilla to kinky in 14 days, and would they even want to? The story follows Jess and her boyfriend Max on their sexual adventure and some of the troubles it causes.

3.  What was your inspiration for it?

A friend asked me to write something sexy because at the time I was writing and self publishing books for children.
The assignment and the list seemed like a good way to explore lots of different sexual scenarios and as I'd never written anything like it before, it helped shape the story and push the narrative along.

4.  Can you tell us more about the main character(s)?

Yeah Jess is pretty normal and so is Max. They've been together for a few years, so we meet them when they are pretty settled which is nice. Jess is a writer and Max is a lawyer. Jess is strong and sexy and so is Max. I like that they are pretty equal.

5.  How did you develop the story?

The list is what helped. It stopped me getting lost. Though after my editor got hold of it he whipped it in to much better shape, helping me to add more character and story so it wasn't just about the list.

6.  What do you like most about writing?

I love working in my pjs. I love taking a duvet day if I don't feel well. I love skiving if the sun is out. I love that I get to do what I love. Writing is fun. I get to make stuff up. The nerve wracking bit is waiting to see if people like it.

7.  Are you working on something at the moment?

Yeah I am working on my second erotic romance. It's another stand alone featuring Sophie, Richard and Ned. I'm about half way through.

8.  Where and when do you write your stories?

I have a little writing corner tucked away under the stairs so that's where I write and I write whenever I get a minute's peace. I like that I can choose when to write or when to not!

9.  What do you do and enjoy when youre not writing?

Life is busy. I'm a mum with three boys, who take up a lot of time. But I love to read. I love the cinema. I love bike rides with hubby and the kids with a picnic at the end.

10.  Which stories influenced you most when you were a child?

I loved Enid Blyton when I was young, so I always want to write about lashings of ginger beer!

11. Who is your favourite author and why?

That's hard to choose. I love John Grisham. And Stephen King. J.K Rowling. Maeve Binchy. Too many to say just one.

12. If you were shipwrecked on a desert island what 3 books would you want with you?

Harry Potter - any one of them. The Stand by Stephen King. It's pretty long so would keep my occupied for a while. I love Room too.

13. If you could change something about your life, what would you change?

I'd make the weekends longer. I love having my husband home from work and my boys home from school. The time goes too quick.

14. Imagine Spice would be turned into a movie. Tell us about your dream cast.

Jess would be Emily Blunt and Max would be the guy who plays Cary Agos on The Good Wife - Matt Czuchry.

15. Spice is an erotic romance, why this genre and how would you describe you writing?

This genre because a friend suggested, but I like it. It's good fun. I hope my writing is fresh and real.

16. Coffee or tea?

Neither.

17. Paperback or e-reader?

Either.

18. Mountains or the sea?

Both please.

19. Summer or winter?

Winter. I wanna build a snowman!

20. Sweet or salty?

Both together. I love the sweet and salty popcorn. Yum!



Biography
I am a writer, wife and mum. I love to tell stories and I am loving the cheekiness of writing erotic fiction. It's always good fun when something asks what my job is!

Twitter:@scarletsbooks
Website: http://www.scarletsmith.co.uk



No comments:

Post a Comment